Tuesday 4 August 2015

The importance of Baby/Toddler Groups





I must be honest, I didn't have the courage to go to my local parent and toddler group while on Mat leave. Im not a very shy or reserved person, so why was it so hard to step inside the door? Looking back I think I was terrified I would be judged on my parenting skills, my learning through doing, my "non text book approach" oh and a thousand other things when through my head: what i was wearing, how I looked, the buggy I had, the contents of the changing bag the list is endless. 

So to my complete disadvantage I missed out on an amazing resource on my door step. It wasn't until my son was 2 that I asked our temporary child-minder (our child-minder was on mat leave) to bring our son down the road to the local parent and toddler group.


Did I honestly think the mums had a 'burn book' that I would feature in?

As I was working at the time I had an excuse not to go, yet Seán was getting all the benefits and thus my guilt lessoned! So week on week I listened to our son tell stories about his great morning and all his friends. It wasn't until the following September that while on a year out of work I struck courage to go myself. Yes my legs were like jelly going on the door and my heat was racing , but Seán ran to the door, full of enthusiasm to show mommy what happens at toddler group. With no time to pause, no time to fix my hair, in we burst. I was met with smiling (some tired) faces, but all smiling, friendly and very welcoming. Yes I had to do alot of the talking to begin with but I made the effort to talk to as many as possible, I played with Seán for small periods: he was very happy to play with his friends and instructed me to drink my coffee and talk to the moms! From that very first morning when at the end of the 2hrs I was asked to help load up all the toys and put them under the stage (of the school hall) I knew this group was all hands on deck, everyone rowing in to help out. Help each other: not judge or criticise but help, support, encourage and befriend. I quickly began to realise that this toddler group was going to be as advantageous (if even more) to me and Seán.


and we'll be here to help! : Toddler group moto! 

I found/still find it BRILLIANT! Recently, while reading an article by Jennifer Riddall on her.ie was when I felt compelled to write to this post. My experience has been so positive.  I've gotten to know so many people from the area, my son has made his first real friends, it's a place to have a good moan and not be met with "you should do this, you should do that" but rather a reassuring ear that all will be fine. Most of all its a great place to have a laugh: mostly at ourselves over the things we complained about last week. I regret so much not having the courage to go while on mat leave and would urge all mums to yes put yourself out there, hid behind your baby at first and feel uncomfortable and awkward in the beginning, because honestly it's this group of ladies that will get you through the tantrums, the traumas, the fussy eating and potty training days and you can look back and say thank God for toddler group: as I do each week!


Looking for a parent baby/toddler group in your area? Ive found a great country wide listing on rollercoster.ie, or simply follow this link here to begin your sear
ch today. You wont regret it!

We hope your experience of a parent and baby/toddler group was also a positive one. We would to hear your views. 

K & O xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment