Monday 23 November 2015

This Sunday you have to try this!!


Baked Creamy Leeks

This is an absolutely fabulous accompaniment with any Sunday roast chicken dinner. I'm thinking I might even make it on Christmas day! My leeks are ready in my raised beds so I used them to make this dish.  It was beautiful and easy to make! Not for those counting calories! But sure what you eat on Sunday doesn't count ya?! ;-)


  







This serves 4-6 people

How to make it?

Preheat your oven to 200C.

Get 800g of Leeks.  Peel back the scruffy leaves, trim the ends and discard, then quarter the leeks lengthways and roughly chop them.  Put them into a sieve, give them a really good wash to get rid of any dirt. Then drain them.



Peel and finely slice two cloves of garlic.

Put a large pan on a medium heat and add two knobs of butter, a lug of olive oil and the garlic.
Pick the leaves off the 6 sprigs of fresh thyme, discarding the stalks.  I have the thyme growing in my raised bed also.



Just as the garlic begins to take on the smallest amount of colour, add all the leeks and thyme leaves and give them a good stir.

Turn the heat up and cook for about ten minutes until the leeks have softened.

Grate 100g of cheddar cheese.

Remove the pan of leeks from the heat and season with a good few pinches of salt and pepper.

Add 200mls of single cream and half the grated cheese.

Mix everything up and transfer into an earthenware dish.  I used my Chasseur Dish. It is perfect for this. 




The leek mix should be about 2.5cm thick in the dish.

Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 20minutes until golden and bubbling.

Enjoy! I did!

A Leek soup is next on my agenda, anyone got a good recipe?

Don't forget you can keep up to date with Countryside Mumsie on our social media accounts facebook and instagram.


Thanks for reading,

Orla & Kerri

No comments:

Post a Comment